New Wadsworth Center Fellowship Program
The application period for the Wadsworth Center Fellowship Program is now open.
About the Wadsworth Center Fellowship Program
The mission of the Wadsworth Center Fellowship Program is to provide scientists with broad experience in laboratory science and research in infectious disease, genetics, environmental health or translational medicine. Fellows will gain broad experience at one of the nation’s premier public health laboratories, renowned for developing and utilizing high complexity testing using advanced technologies and state of the art equipment.
Via laboratory and health department rotations, and with input from a team of experienced mentors, fellows will be exposed to different aspects of laboratory science, including public health laboratory science, and applied and basic research. Fellows will be matched with a host lab to complete a final project in one of the following areas:
Fellows will leave the program with:
- Advanced laboratory skills and research experience
- Hands-on experience in multiple areas of laboratory science
- Training in cross-cutting laboratory competencies
- An understanding of the role of public health laboratories in testing, surveillance, and research
- An ability to communicate clearly to scientific and lay audiences
The fellowship term is full time for 1-2 years, beginning in September. Fellows at the post-baccalaureate or post-master’s level are appointed to a 1-year term, and fellows at the post-doctoral level are appointed to a 2-year term at the Wadsworth Center, New York State Department of Health, in Albany, NY.
- Post-Doctoral: $62,049
- Post-Master’s: $49,703
- Post-Baccalaureate: $46,983
Instructions: Include your last name in all application file names. If possible, submit one combined PDF file.
- Application Form
- Personal statement describing career goals and scientific interests (2-page maximum)
- Curriculum vitae/resume
- 3 scientific/professional letters of recommendation using the Reference Form
- Proof of US citizenship or permanent residency
All application materials must be received by Friday March 27, 2020. Exceptional candidates will be invited to interview with host labs in April-May.
March 27, 2020: Deadline for receipt of application materials
Mid-April, 2020: Finalists notified and invited to interview
April-May 2020: Interviews
End-May, 2020: Final decisions
September 8, 2020: Fellowship start date
- Do I need to submit official copies of my transcripts with my fellowship application? No, unofficial copies may be submitted with the fellowship application by March 27. Official transcripts must be submitted from your degree granting institutions prior to June 1 to verify your academic status.
- Is health insurance provided or can I opt into a health insurance plan offered by Wadsworth Center, NYS Dept of Health or Health Research Incorporated? No, fellows are not considered employees of these institutions and are not eligible for health insurance. Fellows may purchase health insurance through the New York State health plan marketplace, see https://nystateofhealth.ny.gov/.
- Does the program cover travel expenses for interviews? Interviews via videoconference can be arranged for out-of-town candidates.
For questions, please contact email@example.com.