All specimens sent to the Wadsworth Center must comply with the appropriate Department of Transportation (DOT) and International Air Transport Association (IATA) shipping regulations.
Properly complete the Infectious Diseases Requisition (IDR) document online through the Wadsworth Center Laboratory Information System (CLIMS) available on the HCS. If you do not have access to request tests online, learn more about the process to automatically import information and save time.
Infectious Diseases Requisition (IDR): Please ensure all required fields are completed prior to request testing
- Patient Name
- Date of Birth
- Patient New York State county of residence
- Submitter name and address
- Submitter contact person and telephone Number
- Specimen collection date, and specimen type
- For test-specific requirements please visit the test catalog or contact the Wadsworth Center
- Confirm that all specimen containers are properly sealed
- Ensure the specimen containers and/or slides are each labeled with two patient identifiers such as: name, date of birth, medical record number
- Place specimens into the appropriate shipping container in compliance with DOT and IATA regulations
- Place the Infectious Diseases Requisition form or electronic request form in the side pocket of the transport bag or around the outside of the container so that they are not in direct contact with the specimen
- When using overnight courier, ship Sunday through Thursday, excluding days preceding holidays.
- Ship frozen specimens in an insulated container, surrounding the specimens with an ample amount of dry ice to keep the specimens frozen until they reach the laboratory.
- Ship refrigerated specimens on freezer packs.